HER2 treatment landscape 2023
Professor Javier Cortés, Head of the International Breast Cancer Center in Barcelona, Spain explains the HER2 treatment landscape in 2023.
The interview answers the following questions:
1. HER2-targeting antibody-drug conjugates, T-DM1 and T-DXd have remarkably improved overall survival in patients with HER2-positive mBC. Why do these modern ADCs work so well, what makes them different from previous HER2-targeted therapies?
2. In the current guidelines, the gold standard first line treatment for HER2-positive mBC is indisputably the dual HER2-blockade plus taxane (CLEOPATRA-regime). Do you think it will change in the (near) future?
3. As survival is being prolonged, we see more and more patients with brain metastases. How does the presence of brain mets influence your treatment decisions in the second line?
4. Historically, breast cancers have been defined as HER2-positive or negative. Recently, DesitinyBreast04 established HER2-low as a new targetable population. Will the HER2 expression spectrum broaden even further in the future?
5. What have we learnt so far from trials of T-DM-1 and T-DXd in earlier disease stages?